You have made the big decision to pack up and move across the city for an exciting new adventure in life. That was the hard part. Now comes the planning to make sure everything goes as smooth as you want it to.
Packing up your life into boxes can be stressful and make you question what you are doing. But planning ahead and hiring a professional local mover is the key to make this move in Chicago a success story that you can tell everyone for years.
A reputable local moving company not only will help all your belongings land in your new home just the way you left them, but they will provide peace of mind that things will get to your new home. A great local moving company will make sure your items are not damaged and the packing and unpacking go as planned.
So, what do you need to know before you set out on your move in Chicago? Here is a checklist to make sure everything goes smoothly.
CHECKLIST FOR MOVING IN CHICAGO
- As early as you can, research local moving companies in Chicago.
- Create digital files of quotes you have for the move.
- Plan on what you want to spend on the move.
- Start to sort through your items to see what you want to take and what you can purge from your life. If you have not used it in a year, chances are you don’t need that anymore.
THINGS TO DO WHEN MOVING
- Take an inventory with photos and video of all your items going to be moved.
- Find totes and boxes for the move and find out if your local moving company supplies them.
- Think about where your items will fit in your new home.
- Prepare your children and pets for the move.
- Get all your personal records together.
- Call cable, electric and gas companies to tell them you are moving. Also contact any places that provide a service to your home, such as gardeners and cleaners.
- Plan to decide what to do with plants for the move.
- Confirm dates with your local movers and what they are doing and when.
- Pack up your belongings if your local moving company is not going to provide packing services.
- Clean your home.
- If you are selling your home, make sure all that is taken care of before you leave.
- Relax. You hired a local moving company for a reason. Embrace this change in your life.
CHECKLIST FOR MOVING TO A CHICAGO SUBURB
- Visit the suburb you are moving to and get to know the area.
- Budget your money for the move.
- Look at schools in the area you are moving to if you have children, and notify the old school.
- Find a new home in the suburb.
- Forward your mail to your new address.
- Tell friends you are moving.
TIPS ON MOVING LOCALLY
- Save your receipts.
- Pack your items strategically. That way unpacking will be so much easier to find what you are looking for.
- Make sure things like TV, Internet and utilities will work at your new home when you arrive.
- Make your own moving checklist.
- Know what date the movers will arrive at your new home.
- When you arrive at your new home, treat yourself with a nice dinner and some relaxation. This is a big moment in your life.
- Make sure your items are insured for the move by the company doing the work.
- Keep in contact with the local moving company with a phone number.
- Have all essential items with you when you leave.
- Check your items when they arrive at the new home.
- Get to know your new neighborhood.
BEST WAY TO MOVE LOCALLY
Hiring a professional local moving company is the best and safest way to move in Chicago. Trying to load up all your belongings and put it in a vehicle that you will drive yourself is extremely stressful. Not only do you have to drive through areas that you may be unfamiliar with, but the drive alone will be challenging.
If you are planning a local move in Chicago and looking to hire a professional, reputable mover, get in touch with Mighty Moving! We are a trusted full service moving company in Chicago, providing the best relocation services at affordable prices. Apply online for a free moving quote or give us a call at 855-699-8999.